Thursday, July 14, 2011

And the First to Cross is...Jeremy Andrews!!




Last Saturday Jeremy was in the Fire Road Mtn. Bike Race. He entered because his friends asked him to do it with them, so he signed up just for fun. I kept asking him if he was ready or nervous. He said that he would get out on his bike a few times and be okay, and that he was not nervous because he was just doing it for fun, and he was not going to try to win or get a p.r.
Race day came, and he said that he would call me when he got to the top so the kids and I could start heading for the finish line to watch him cross. Well, I got a call, so we went to the park where the finish was, and I asked one of the volunteers when the 60k racers would start coming in. She told me the first ones should be coming in about 15 min. The kids and I found a spot in the shade a ways from the finish line and started reading some library books that we just got, not thinking, or knowing that Jeremy was going to be the first one to cross the line. 15 minutes later the anouncer says "The first 60k rider is coming in, and it is Jeremy Andrews of Cedar City!" I said "What?!?!," and gathered my things, and the kids. We made a mad dash across the park with Logann in our dollar stroller, and Dax and Riley running as fast as they could, to find Jeremy throw himself off his bike onto the grass. His legs were blasted. His calves, and quads were in knots, and all that I could do was apologize for missing him cross again, (I also missed him cross the finish in his first marathon), and tried my best to rub out his legs. As Jeremy lay there, helpless, one of the newspaper journalists was interviewing him. Here is the article: http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20110710/SPORTS/107100311/Prenzlow-Newby-Fraser-win-inaugural-Fire-Road-race
Jeremy said he tried calling, but when I picked up he didn't answer. After the race was over I got a voice mail from him saying, "Nat, I'm going to win. Go to the finish!" That would have been helpful if I would have gotten that message BEFORE he crossed the finish line.
Jeremy's finishing time was 3:03.57
I left the camera at home, but luckily, I had my phone so I could take these high-quality photos so we can always remember that surprising day.
That was a fun day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nat that is awesome! Congratulations Jeremy! Just so you know, I couldn't view the news page, it says it's for paying customers only. :( Glad he did well though! That's seriously awesome.